Friday, June 20, 2008

21 June 2008

O Thou, the Breath, the Light of All,
Let this Light create a heart-shrine within.
And you Counsel rule 'til Oneness guides all'.
Your One desire then acts with ours, as in all light, so in all forms.
Grant what we need, each day, in bread and insight.
Loose the cords of mistakes binding us, as we release the strands we hold of other's faults.
Don't let surface things delude us.
But keep us from unripe acts.
To you belongs the ruling mind,
the life than can act and do,
the song that beautifies all,
from age to age it renews.
In faith, I will to be true.

This is a translation of the Lord's Prayer from Syriac Aramaic, which is possibly the closest existing version to the prayer that Jesus spoke, in contrast to the more common "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your Name" translation.

I remember that a few days ago, I visited Isaac's house, straight after piano lesson. Being the wuss that I am, I was very straightforward in declaring my state of hunger, since I hadn't eaten breakfast, and lunchtime was almost over. My polar opposite in terms of noisiness, he very promptly fried a bowl of ham and eggs for me. I was took over by surprise, both by his hospitality and his culinary skills (okay, as well as the overwhelming portion of oil... Just kidding!). All in all, I didn't manage to achieve much in terms of tutoring Isaac. I guess I make a better comedian, but then I wouldn't do very well with such a career choice anyway. Isaac, what you really need now, is to put effort in. Read aloud, and refrain from excessive internet surfing. More specifically, anime. I believe you'll have all the time in the world to watch afterwards. At least until the start of tertiary education. =)

I personally hoped that he would be able to join us for the retreat/camp on next Friday though. It really rocks to be able to have friends who stay true with you even after ending education. Close friends, with whom I can talk about, more than the best skills to use in DoTA or Company of Heroes, more than what to do or where to go after class or CCA, more than the chio bu sitting opposite the classroom (XD).

But of course, such a fellowship isn't always peaceful and smooth. True, our planet is prone to natural disasters, but in my opinion, EVERYTHING that is on this world is afflicted with
"earth"-quakes and tsunamis. Electrical devices, schoolwork, politics, marriage, etc. So this is where prayer comes in.

My friends, I beseech you once more. Pray for me. I don't want to leave a bad influence on others. I don't want to be insincere. I don't want to be the cause of heated arguments. I want to be a better ambassador of
Christ in my school, and that I would not feel pressurized and discouraged when pre-believers mock me. This vessel of mine wants to be a servant to the only person who sees clearly all the sides of me, not just the good, nor just the bad, but the wretched and broken side of me.

There are so many prayer meetings globally that many of us would know the power of prayer. That doesn't mean that when more people pray, there would be more favor/power/mana to ensure success of the prayer. What I'm convicted in, however, is that whenever I pray for others, whenever I join in such prayer meetings, my faith is strengthened. Praying for others does not set me apart from the rest; it keeps me humble, helps me feel significant, and influences me to rely more on Him. So, my brothers and sisters, would you pray with me?

My life may be shaken by storms, and the boat we travel in may be shaken by the devil, but I'm so glad I have Him in my life, and He uses weak people like me to be glorified and show his omnipotence in creating order from chaos. And I just wanted to remind you; you have God in your life too!
With Christ in the vessel, we can smile at the storm!

No comments: